Cecafa hit with financial woes
This came a day after the Burundi national team was briefly held at their hotel due to a Sh3 million debt and the situation threatens to get worse as teams eliminated from the competition begin to return home.
It is feared that hotel owners are likely to detain teams staying in their premises unless they are paid their costs in full as happened to the Burundi team on Tuesday.
The tournament’s Local Organising Committee (LOC) admitted on Wednesday to facing a Sh57 million (Rwf. 447m) deficit and warned that the event may stall unless government intervenes.
In a letter to Sports Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario, the LOC chairman Sam Nyamweya said: “For avoidance of doubt, we wish to state formally that if the government does not come up with budgetary support now, the tournament will implode.”
Giving a breakdown of the money received, Nyamweya said so far they have raised Sh29.7m.
The money came from title sponsors Gotv, (Sh10.7m), Machakos Country (Sh5m), Nakuru County (Sh3m), Kisumu County (Sh3.5m), UAP (Sh2.5m) and Coca-Cola (Sh5m).
Two county governments, Nairobi and Mombasa are yet to honour their pledge to pay Sh10m each which would significantly cut down on the proposed budget.
The money received by organisers is against a budgetary allocation of Sh87,404,626 broken down as follows: Accommodation Sh39,703,000, local transport Sh6,258,600, international flights, Sh20,743,026, local flights Sh8,400,000 and security Sh12,300,000.
“We currently have a shortfall of Sh57m for the entire tournament most of it anchored in debt and post-dated cheques. Furthermore, we are yet to receive the expected Sh20m from Kisumu and Mombasa counties which makes it difficult proceed with the event,” said Nyamweya’s letter to Wario.
Sports Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario threw back the matter to the tourney’s organising committee. “Organisers of Cecafa are better placed to answer that,” he said when asked about the matter.
But Nyamweya insisted that the government must fulfill their promise to support the tournament.
“Before we accepted to host this event, we got an undertaking from the Ministry they would support us. It was on this basis that we bid and accepted the hosting rights. We have managed to run a good tournament but the government ought to do its part,” said yamweya.
He asked that part of the budget allocated to Kenya@50 secretariat be given to the tournament.
Meanwhile, plans for Mombasa County to host the Cecafa quarter-finals this weekend hangs in the balance following disagreement over the Sh10m hosting rights fee.
FKF President Sam Nyamweya said the three hosting counties Nairobi, Kisumu and Mombasa agreed on the Sh10m fee.