Ozil dismisses Madrid exit talk
Real Madrid midfielder Mesut Ozil has denied suggestions he could be set to leave the club before the end of the transfer window next week.
Premier League duo Manchester United and Arsenal had been linked with Ozil who is starting his fourth season at Los Blancos after joining from Werder Bremen in 2010.
However, he insisted his future lies in the Spanish capital.
“I have a contract until 2016; I feel very good here and get on well with my teammates. For me it is an honour to play here with this team,” he said at a promotional event on Wednesday.
“I want to succeed here. There has been a lot written in the press, they have spoken of interesting options, but I have a contract and I am staying at Real Madrid.
The German cut a frustrated figure as he stormed down tunnel after being substituted by new boss Carlo Ancelotti in Madrid’s 1-0 win over Granada on Monday.
And Ozil had reportedly been unsettled by the arrival of Isco and Madrid’s potential purchase of Gareth Bale which would leave the 24-year-old’s place the side far from secure in the run up to the World Cup next year.
But he said he understands the role that Ancelotti wants him to play this season.
“I have the confidence of the coach and there is a series of objectives that we want to achieve in which everyone has their own role to play. This is one of the reasons I want to stay.”